Now that I am nearing the third chapter of my time at NCR, I have begun to venture into the ideation stage of my design process. For many weeks now I have had ideas rattling about in my head and it’s a relief to finally put them down on paper. I have organised my ideation into two categories, Must Have Features and Concept Cores:
Must Have Features
The must have features have been realised from research into both the suspected users, and currently used products. It is of great importance to consider both these elements as without them the service could be either unfamiliar or not appropriate to the user. The five speculatively diagnosed features can be seen below:
- Custom homepage
- In order to build a relationship between the user and the platform and to encourage continued use and gamification.
- Personal profile generation
- To encourage use through the building of social capital and ego incubation. The use of a profile will also help to facilitate an informed user allocation system through the building of each user’s skill sets.
- Incentive system
- In order to maintain willing participation and a gamification aspect to the platform. The reward system will also play on an already familiar system that exists currently with the NCR culture.
- Idea box or managed question system
- A system that allows for the users to either offer their own insights freely or a system that allows for the facilitated governance of an allocated question system.
- An IM system
- A service that allows for instant communication across the platform, this will be useful when discussing a topic between peers.
I have developed four concept cores from the information I have gained over the past weeks. A concept core is an idea that has no physical form, and instead purely details the ideas intention. The below concept sheets demonstrate what each of the concept suggests, utilising a relevant image, 100 word description and the pros and cons of the general concept. See below:
I next plan to whittle these concepts down into my main concept and to create a visual map of how it will function. I will then intend to sketch out what each feature is and what it could look like. After doing this I would like to get everyone within the UCD group together to review and critique the concept.