MK2 Prototype

Now that I know what I want both my pots and table to look like, it’s time to prototype it all together. I started by creating all the clay work, as it would take the longest to complete and involved a lot of waiting around. To start the clay work I fist had to fill my already made casts full of clay slip.

Photo 10-03-2014 11 31 36 Photo 10-03-2014 11 08 55

This slip was then left for around 20 minutes to form a 3mm all thickness. It was then poured away ready to use another day. The lay then takes three hours to dry enough to remove the mould and handle. While I was waiting on the clay drying I had time to work on the other aspects of the prototype. After the three hours were up I preceded to remove any split lines or imperfections that had been formed by the cast. The final part of the process is joining the components of the more complex pieces. Both the tea pot and tea server require this extra attention. The joining technique involves scoring and wetting the surface of the clay whilst it is of a leather hard consistency. After a 2 day wait the pots are ready to fire, the kiln is filled and another 4 days later I had my fired pots.

Photo 28-03-2014 16 28 57 (1)

The next and final step of the clay work element was to glaze the pieces. I decided early on that I wanted to keep the exterior of the pots untouched and leave them with their Stoney texture. The glaze is quickly applied and then a final firing will produce the final pieces.

 

The other side of the prototype is that of the table design. After quickly mocking up a design on CAD I began to create a physical form using plywood and MDF. I chose to use these materials due to their workability and sturdiness.  The first step of the build involved cutting wood to the appropriate sizes and detailing them as necessary. A plunge saw was used to create the drain detail on the top face.

Photo 14-03-2014 12 12 29 Photo 14-03-2014 16 40 24 (1)

I then used the milling machine to mill out a groove along the top face. This groove added both an attractive aesthetic feature as well as a functional channel for all spillage to be drained. The final part was to attach the basin, to hold all spillage, and the table leg.  With the addition of my previously made utensils I was able to bring it all together to create the prototype.

Photo 03-04-2014 18 18 55

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s